Can you believe it’s already February? If you’re in planning mode for the new(ish) year, you’re not alone. Here are my fun ways for getting organised to make 2018 your best year yet:
1. Write down the crazy big goals you’d like to achieve in 2018.
They can be business or personal. Use coloured pens and make it look fun to look at. You could draw little pictures next to them, too.
2. Buy a big desk calendar and add monthly goals that will get you closer to your big goals. Make deadlines for the big goals you identified.
Having goals on a calendar helps make you accountable and can keep you on track. You could colour code your goals and deadlines for personal, business, skills or travel. Pick colours that make you happy to look at.
3. Sketch up how you would like your workspace to look and think about what you could add (or remove) to make it flow better and help you be more efficient.
Whether it’s a whole room or just your desk, it is so much nicer when everything has a place and you don’t constantly feel buried under mess or can’t find anything.
4. Make a mood board or a Pinterest board for your workspace or desk and treat yourself to something that will help make it a happier place.
This might mean adding artwork or new in-trays, or hoisting up a peg board or some shelves so you have somewhere to hang all your equipment and can leave your desk top free.
5. Read a book on a topic that interests you.
This might not seem like an organisational tool, but it might just uncover another goal for the year, or help you learn something that relates to one of your goals. If your goal is to hike in South America, then a book on how to prepare for hiking in those climates could be perfect!
6. Get outdoors and have some fun.
What does this have to do with getting organised? It helps you to relax and have time to think about what you do and don’t want for the year ahead. It’s hard to get organised and be excited when you’re feeling frazzled, so allow yourself some downtime before you jump deeper into the new year.
7. If you’re feeling particularly crafty, make a vision board with images that represent your goals for 2018 and put it up somewhere to remind you what you’re working toward.
Grab some cardboard and some old magazines and have fun organising and gluing your vision for the year.
The beginning of a new year is the perfect time to work out what we’d like our future to look like and to take baby steps that will set us on the right path. Some goals will be longer term, but it can be fun to think of the things we can start now to get us there.
Have a wonderful 2018!
This post was originally written by Dannielle Cresp in 2014.
Photo by Kaboompics.com