What is your professional or training background?
I studied Communication Design (Bachelor or Design) at RMIT gradating with Distinction in 2010. And have just finished my Honours in Communication Design at The Works Design Consultancy at RMIT in 2011.
What do you make, create or do?
I try to create beautiful pieces of design with a focus on simple and sustainable outcomes.
What other creative areas would you like to explore as a side-project to your current work, or move into full-time?
At the moment I am looking forward to starting a my career as a Graphic Designer, I have been working freelance over the last year and am excited to move into a working studio environment.
What skills do you have that help you run your business, or what skills would you like to develop?
I am very, very organised and this helps me to be the (slightly manic) multi-tasker that I am. I am only still learning how to run a ‘business’ with my freelance design, but I find that asking for advice and listening to what other people can share with me has been very useful.
List five people, businesses or websites/blogs that keep you motivated and inspired, and why?
1. The Selby, the way they capture the space that people inhabit is so raw and energetic.
2. all the mountains (allthemountains.blogspot.com/), a beautiful piece of work is presented each day and is the content is alway unique.
3. Broadsheet, probably the best resource for inspiring my eating and drinking habits. Also a motivating force for me to get my work done- so I can hunt down their featured eateries!
4. The Design Files, is always a great way to start my morning with an appreciation for all that is creative.
5. Boooooooom (www.booooooom.com) has such a great catalogue of artistic endeavours and is a great source of inspiration (and perhaps procrastination!)
Contact Holly via mail/at/hollycanham.com
Categories: Regular Columns | Comments Off on Holly Canham, Graphic Designer