Nicola St John
Freelance Graphic Designer
What is your professional or training background?
I completed a double degree in Bachelor of Creative Arts majoring in Graphic Design and a Bachelor of Media and Communication Studies from the University of Wollongong. Since finishing University I have been lucky enough to work in some amazing places, from the far reaches of Laos, to Peru, the UK and the USA, creating campaigns for some very inspiring clients ranging from eco-tourism to non-profits and charities.
What do you make, create or do?
I create digital and print designs, campaigns, brands, illustrations and all round creative solutions. My focus has always been to create something to inspire social change, following the philosophy, don’t just do good design, do good. I also write about design and social justice for Oxfam’s youth initiate 3things at www.3things.org.au
What other creative areas would you like to explore as a side-project to your current work, or move into full-time?
I am currently exploring photography, both as a form of documenting my travels and an artistic endeavour. I would love to move into work centred around art direction and to encompass more than just pure design.
The biggest skill I think I possess is the ability to multitask. I always seem to be doing a million things at once, mostly due to the fact I can never say no to a new project. I would love to improve my business sense and learn how to create and live sustainably as a freelance designer.
List five people, businesses or websites/blogs that keep you motivated and inspired, and why?
1. Jonathan Barnbrook: An amazing graphic designer that has always managed to stay true to his morals. He does not care for ego, design awards and celebrity, just great design for a great reason.
2. Jessica Hische: The raddet designer working today, Jessica has established herself as a prominent typographer at such a young age. Super inspirational for young designers working today.
3. South South West: Melbourne’s steller design agency, their site is a fantastic mix of superb branding, community initiatives and contemporary graphic design in Australia
4. ffffound.com: The most amazing source of inspiration on the web today. I visit this site daily and it never fails to amaze me
5. Steven Sagmeister: Needing no introduction, Sagmeister is a god amongst designers practicing today.
Contact Nicola via hello/at/modpodcreative.com
Categories: Regular Columns | Comments Off on Nicola St John, Graphic Designer, ModPod Creative